Whitbourne Elementary school has 96 students in full time attendance and is nearing capacity (Click on photo to visit our school website)The elementary school has always maintained a stable student population. In this current school review, low enrollment was NOT a factor in the decision.
Of note, Whitbourne High School was closed in 2001 and students were reconfigured into the Crescent Collegiate High School. The vacant classroom space in the high school wing has always been used for the delivery of stepping stones and kinderstart programming at NO cost to our Government. Under the proposed school closure in June of 2017, our Government will be required to RENT office space and storage space for the delivery of this programming. A decision that is NOT cost-effective!
THE WRONG DECISION HAS BEEN MADE AGAIN TO CLOSE OUR SCHOOL IN June of 2017
We believe the right decision is for BOTH schools to remain status quo until a new school is constructed or until Crescent Collegiate can be reconfigured to be a K-12 school.
Inclusion of special needs children is very important in our school system. There is 108 schools including Whitbourne Elementary that are fully accessible for mobility challenged students out of 260 schools in Newfoundland. Closing our school and dropping the number to 107 schools does not make sense!
Here are some concerns;
- The Electrical Report quoted "major upgrades" required to bring the school up to current (NBC 2010) building codes. However, the school has NO electrial issues and COMPLIES with the building code when it was built like most other older buildings in NL.
- The Dillon Report quoted "major roof upgrades" were required because of changing snow loads. However, the report stated the roof structure is safe and just needs to be shovelled off when the snow level reach a certain depth. Access to Information Requests of emails between NLESD staff indicated roof repairs were in the range of $18,000.
- The NLESD REFUSED to allow private consultants and engineers access to Whitbourne Elementary to rebut the electrical and structural reports on our behalf.
- NLESD Officials refused to meet with our Municipality and other affected stakeholders.
- NLESD Officials refused to meet, discuss, & consult with school communities/councils
- Information provided by NLESD to the Trustees supported ONLY one option, the closure of the school. (for example; NLESD gets to determine what information will be included or excluded from a school review profile provided to each Trustee prior to his/her vote.) Please click here to read the school review profile "gov-104" policy.
- Trustees voted by SECRET ballot. Ballots were counted by three employees of NLESD with no oversight. The vote count was not revealed. Parents were told the motion passed.
- Read more about the problems in the last school review (Click here).
- READ ABOUT EDUCATION CONCERNS BY CLICKING ANY BLUE TAB ON THE RIGHT
NLESD NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE
The "ALTERNATIVE FACTS" provided to the public, the biased data used by staff, wreckless spending of taxpayers monies and the actions of the Nl English School Board has HARMED our education system. It must STOP! We are hearing of problems every day in our education system; overcrowded schools, teachers having to beg and borrow for school supplies, bus problems, and the list goes on.
The reconfiguration of the Whitbourne Elementary and Woodland Elementary schools will negatively impact the educational outcomes of ALL our children. It will result in overcrowding. We have highlighted tour concerns to the Director of the NLESD. We have sent letters clearly indicating our concerns to Premier Dwight Ball, Minister Dale Kirby and our MHA Sherry Gambin-Walsh. We have been ignored!
COUNCIL WILL BE TRAVELLING TO CORNER BROOK TO DELIVER A PRESENTATION & INFORMATION PACKAGES TO NLESD BOARD OF TRUSTEES ON JUNE 2, 2017. WE ARE ASKING THEM TO INTRODUCE A MOTION TO OVERTURN THE DECISION TO CLOSE OUR SCHOOL.
YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT OUR APPEAL BY SELECTING EITHER THE "SCHOOL PARENTS FACTUM" OR "NLESD FACTUM" TABS ON THE RIGHT OF THIS PAGE.
WHEN WILL PEOPLE MATTER? WHEN WILL YOU LISTEN?